CRAFT Fast Response
Black lives matter. Black voices matter.
We will respond to your piece within three weeks of submission. If we decline your work, we’ll offer a few lines of actionable feedback.
We pay $200 for accepted short stories and $100 for flash fiction. To serve our aim of exploring the art of fiction, each published story includes an editor’s introduction as well as a craft essay (author’s note) by the writer. This essay will be requested upon acceptance.
At this time, we are only offering fast response for fiction.
Two choices for Black writers:
- Free fast response for flash fiction (fewer than 1,000 words)—please use this form.
- Free fast response for short fiction (short stories and standalone excerpts between 1,000 and 6,000 words)—please use this form.
If you are not a Black writer and wish to send flash fiction (fewer than 1,000 words) for a fast response, please use this form for fast response in exchange for proof of donation ($12 minimum) to an organization in support of Black lives.
If you are not a Black writer and wish to send short fiction for a fast response, please use this form for fast response in exchange for proof of donation ($12 minimum) to an organization in support of Black lives.
- International submissions are allowed
- Previously unpublished fiction only
- Fiction only
- Please submit work in English only
- 6,000 words maximum for short fiction; 1,000 words maximum for flash
- We review literary fiction, but are open to a variety of genres and styles—our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft
- We allow simultaneous submissions—writers please notify us and withdraw your piece if your work is picked up elsewhere
- We no longer allow multiple submissions—please submit only one piece until you’ve heard back from us
- Please, please, double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font
- Please send your story as a Word doc
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable)
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, or for any other reason