CRAFT Flash Fiction Contest
2019 CRAFT Flash Fiction Contest
September 1 to October 31 2019
Judged by Benjamin Percy
Welcome to CRAFT’s first flash fiction contest for unpublished stories up to 1,000 words!
- Open September 1 to October 31
CRAFT submissions are open to all writers
International submissions are allowed
Please submit work in English only
- 1,000 word count maximum—flash only
- We review literary fiction, but are open to a variety of genres and styles—our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft
- Previously unpublished work only—we do not review reprints, including self-published work, for contests
We allow simultaneous submissions—writers please notify us and withdraw your entry if your work is picked up elsewhere
- $20 reading fee per entry allows up to two stories of 1,000 words or fewer each—if submitting two stories, please put them both in a SINGLE document
We allow multiple submissions—please submit each set of two flash stories as a separate submission accompanied by a reading fee
All entries will also be considered for publication in CRAFT
- All submissions must be made via Submittable
All entrants will receive an exclusive digital compilation next spring that includes: the winning pieces, with Benjamin Percy’s introductions and the winners’ craft essays; excerpts from the editors’ choice and finalist pieces; notes from the readers and editors about the reading process; and more
Please, please, double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font
Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable)
We do not require blind submissions
Friends, family, and associates of the judge are not eligible for consideration for the award.
The writers of the three winning flash fiction pieces will each receive:
$1,000 award and a bundle of the Rose Metal Press Field Guides
- Publication in CRAFT, with an introduction by Benjamin Percy, and an Author’s Note (craft essay) to accompany the story
- A micro-interview with our flash fiction section editor, Tommy Dean
The $600 editors’ choice round:
- $150 each and publication to four stories we just can’t let go
Benjamin Percy’s most recent collection of short fiction—Suicide Woods—releases this fall with Graywolf Press. He is also the author of four novels, two other story collections, and a book of essays, Thrill Me: Essays on Fiction. His fiction and nonfiction have been read on NPR and published in GQ, Esquire, Time, Outside, Men’s Journal, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Tin House, Ploughshares, McSweeney’s, and The Paris Review. He writes for Marvel and DC Comics—and his series X-Force launches this fall as part of the new dawn of X-Men. His honors include an NEA fellowship, a Whiting Award, the Plimpton Prize, two Pushcart Prizes, the iHeartRadio Award for Best Scripted Podcast, and inclusion in Best American Short Stories and Best American Comics.
Founded in 2006, Rose Metal Press is a not-for-profit publisher specializing in the publication of literary work in hybrid genres, including flash fiction and nonfiction; prose poetry; novels-in-verse or book-length linked narrative poems; novellas-in-flash; lyric essays; text and image works; and other literary works that move beyond the traditional genres of poetry, fiction, and essay to find new forms of expression.
Ready to submit?
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to:
contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com