CRAFT Elements Contest
When we read stories, we often note their strength in a certain element of craft. Perhaps the setting—a place the reader has never been or is very familiar with—is perfectly rendered. Perhaps the dialogue brings the characters to life but also reveals subtext. Perhaps a character is drawn so well that the reader cannot forget the character, even weeks after reading the story.
For this contest, we will be reading the stories through the lens of craft, and selecting winners based on the strength of the story in each of the following three craft categories: Setting, Dialogue, and Character. One story will be awarded in each category, and each of the three authors will receive $1000 and publication. Finalists will also be noted in each category.
So send us that story that really shines in one (or all!) of these categories. We can’t wait to read your fiction!
- 7,000 word count maximum
- International submissions allowed
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please inform us if your story has been accepted elsewhere
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but each story must be accompanied by a reading fee
- Previously unpublished work only
- All entries will be read for each of the three craft categories: Setting, Dialogue, and Character
- All entries should be submitted without identifying information on the document
- All entries will also be considered for publication in CRAFT
- All submissions must be made via Submittable
- $20 reading fee per story
- Contest is open from August 15 until September 30
- Send us your best fiction. We are interested in stories that explore setting, dialogue, and character. We want stories that linger with us; stories that have an emotional core; and stories that feel fresh and new.
- Other questions? Send to email@example.com